According to the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC), the Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) that is currently being developed in Delhi and will connect to Meerut, Alwar, and Panipat has been given the name RAPIDX.
Until recently, the new rail system being developed in Delhi did not have an official name and was simply referred to as RRTS, which stands for Regional Rapid Transit System. The RRTS designation describes the type of rail system being built, which is a regional train service. Similarly, other rail systems such as MRTS (mass rapid transit system) refer to local metro or monorail services.
|Name||RAPIDX (officially named by National Capital Region Transport Corporation, NCRTC)|
|Type||Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS)|
|Location||Delhi and National Capital Region (NCR)|
|Phase 1 Distance||349 km|
|Phase 1 Corridors||Three RAPIDX corridors with 62 stations|
|Phase 1 Speed||Five additional RAPIDX lines are planned for development|
|Future Phases||Five additional RAPIDX lines planned for development|
|Purpose||Improve regional connectivity, enhance transportation options, and promote economic development|
|Developer||National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC)|
What is RAPIDX?
RAPIDX is the new official name given to the Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) in the National Capital Region (NCR) of India. It is a semi-high-speed rail system that will connect Delhi with neighboring cities such as Meerut, Alwar, and Panipat, as well as other towns within the NCR.
Background on RAPIDX
Between 2017 and 2022, the lines of the Regional Rapid Transit System being developed in Delhi were referred to as “Smart Lines” in various government brochures.
However, in 2020, when the name was published, the public relations agency of the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) clarified that this was not the official name and that they were still in the process of deciding on a name for the RRTS lines.
Overview of RAPIDX
Phase-1 of RAPIDX
- Phase 1 of the project covers a distance of 349 km, which is roughly equivalent to the current network of the Delhi Metro.
- Within this phase, the development of three RAPIDX corridors with a total of 62 stations has been prioritized.
- Delhi – Meerut RAPIDX Line (82.15km)
- Delhi – SNB – Alwar RAPIDX Line (164 km)
- Delhi – Sonepat – Panipat RAPIDX Line (103 km)
- These corridors are expected to significantly enhance regional connectivity in the National Capital Region by providing faster, more reliable, and more comfortable transportation options to commuters.
- The RAPIDX trains are designed to run at a maximum speed of 160 km/hr, with an average speed of 100 km/hr.
- This will enable them to connect Sarai Kale Khan with other neighborhoods within Delhi, as well as Delhi’s suburbs and towns in the National Capital Region (NCR).
- By providing faster and more efficient transportation, the RAPIDX system is expected to significantly reduce travel time for commuters and facilitate economic growth in the region.
Next Phases of RAPIDX
In the next phase or phases of the project, an additional five RAPIDX lines are planned to be developed. These lines have already been mapped out on the National Capital Region Regional Rapid Transit System (NCR RRTS) page. The expansion of the RAPIDX system is expected to further improve regional connectivity, enhance transportation options, and promote economic development in the National Capital Region.
- Delhi – Faridabad – Ballabhgarh – Palwal RAPIDX Line (60 km)
- Ghaziabad – Khurja RAPIDX Line (83 km)
- Delhi – Bahadurgarh – Rohtak RAPIDX Line (70 km)
- Ghaziabad – Hapur RAPIDX Line (57 km)
- Delhi – Shahadra – Baghpat – Baraut RAPIDX Line (56 km)
RRTS system in Delhi has not been renamed but rather officially named RAPIDX. While RAPIDX does capture the essence of what the system aims to be, a rapid transit system, there is room for debate about the name’s effectiveness and memorability. It is possible that a sharper or more unique name like Seoul’s upcoming GTX (Great Train eXpress) or Paris’ RER (Réseau Express Régional) could have been used.
Alternatively, an acronym like NCRX could have been considered. Ultimately, the effectiveness of the name depends on a variety of factors, including its ability to be easily remembered and recognized by the public.
In conclusion, the RAPIDX system is a semi-high-speed Regional Rapid Transit System being developed by the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR). The system aims to improve regional connectivity, enhance transportation options, and promote economic development in the region.
With Phase 1 expected to be completed by 2025 and plans for additional phases in the future, the RAPIDX system has the potential to significantly reduce travel time for commuters and facilitate economic growth in the National Capital Region. While the name RAPIDX has been officially chosen, opinions may differ on its effectiveness and memorability compared to other rapid transit system names around the world.
Also Read: Shaktipeeth Expressway
What is RAPIDX and what does it stand for?
RAPIDX is the new name given to the Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) in the National Capital Region (NCR) of India. It stands for “Rapid” and “Index”, signifying the system’s aim to provide rapid transportation and improve connectivity in the NCR.
What is the maximum speed of RAPIDX trains?
RAPIDX trains will have a maximum speed of 160 km/hr, making it a semi-high-speed rail system.