History of Kundavai Pirattiyar [Kundavai Nachiyar of Chola Dynasty, her Birth, Kundavai Pirattiyar Husband, Married, Kundavai Pirattiyar Death, Strategies, also called Kundavai Nachiyar, Kundavai Nachiyar history, Kundavai Pirattiyar history Kundavai in Chola Dynasty, Queen Kundavai]
In this article, you will get to know about the first prominent Tamil women who lived 1000 years ago in the Chola Dynasty. She is none other than Kundavai Nachiyar or Kundavai Pirattiyar, the elder sister of the great Chola Emperor Raja Raja I.
|Birth Place||Tirukoilur, Tamil Nadu|
|Father||Parantaka Chola II(SunderChola)|
|Brothers||Aditya Karikalan II |
|Died in||Pazhaiyarai, Tamil Nadu, India|
Who was Kundavai Pirattiyar?
Kundavai Nachiyar was born at Tirukoilur in the house of Parantaka Chola II(SunderChola) and her mother Vanavan Mahadevi during the latter half of the 10th Century. Further, her elder brother’s name was Aditya Karikalan II and her younger brother was Arulmozhivarman(later Rajaraja Chola I). She was known for her intelligence, political acumen, and support of the arts and scholarship. Further, she is also known as the “Cholas’ empress” and “Cholas’ pride” in the ancient inscriptions.
However, Kundavai Pirattiyar was very loving towards her father, brother, and husband but still apart from all this she kept her Chola dynasty on top priority. Moreover, she would sacrifice anything for her kingdom.
- Kundavai Pirattiyar was famous for her beauty, intelligence, and diplomatic strategies. Further, she was considered different from all other women.
- Due to the death of Sunder Chola, Vanavan Mahadevi performed Sati and due to the death of Mahadevi at a young age, the love between brother and sister increased, the main reason for this was that Arulmozhivarman had no knowledge of the kingdom.
- So his sister Kundavai Pirattiyar made her brother eligible for the kingdom and stood by him like a rock in every trouble.
- From historical sources, we come to know that Aditya Karikalan II was killed by the conspirators. Despite this, Kundavai Nachiyar leaves no stone unturned to make his younger brother a skilled warrior and a worthy king.
- Moreover, the surrounding states sent their children to Kundavai to make them skilled as she was an expert in art, music, and literature.
- As mentioned in her inscription, she enjoyed high status in the Chola Kingdom.
- Kundavai Pirattiyar’s name is found in places like Temples, Tanks, Cheris, Mutts, etc.
Kundavai Pirattiyar & her husband Vandhiyadevar
In spite of having the responsibility of making her younger brother efficient for the kingdom, Kundavai falls in love with Vallavarayar Vandhiyadevar, the crown prince of the Bana Kingdom. Further, Kundavai Pirattiyar married Vandhiyadevar, but despite this, she focused her attention on the Chola Kingdom and did not give up her love for the mother country.
Moreover, Kundavai showed interest in the Chola Kingdom even after marriage. In addition, she also asked her husband to be a part of the difficult situations of the Chola dynasty and to work for the state’s welfare. After this, Vandhiadevar also contributed to the Chola Kingdom and started living there permanently.
Also Read: History of Krishnadeva Raya
Intelligence & Strategies of Kundavai
- Kundavai never panicked in difficult times, if she used to take any decision, she used to take it thoughtfully and at the right time.
- When Aditya Karikalan II was murdered, Kundavai knew very well who was behind the murder, yet she did not take any action and waited for 13 years.
- When the Chola dynasty was in danger, the Kundavai would call her brother back to the kingdom.
- Efficiently expanded the Chola Empire and also set up a powerful army and navy.
- With the help of the navy, Arulmozhivarman became the first ruler to capture various parts of Eelangai.
- Kundavai, with his strategic policies, raised the empire and made Arulmozhivarman a formidable king that can never be forgotten.
- Raja Raja Chola introduced the Kudavolai System for the first time to select the village officer.
- Significant role in the compilation of Tirumurai.
So, this is all about Kundavai Nachiyar or Kundavai Pirattiyar. If you like this article, please share it with your friends.
Who was Kundavai Pirattiyar?
Kundavai Pirattiyar was a princess of the Chola dynasty in South India and the daughter of the great Chola emperor Rajendra Chola I.
What was the significance of Kundavai in history?
Kundavai Pirattiyar was known for her intelligence, political acumen, and administrative skills, and was a key figure in the Chola dynasty during her time. She was also known for her patronage of art and culture and was revered as a saintly figure by later generations.
What were the achievements of Kundavai Pirattiyar?
Kundavai Pirattiyar was instrumental in establishing the Brihadisvara Temple at Thanjavur, one of the largest Hindu temples in South India. She also founded several other temples and was a generous patron of musicians, dancers, and poets.
Who was the father of Kundavai Pirattiyar?
Parantaka Chola II(SunderChola) was the father of Kundavai.